Please note that you must check the terms and conditions at any site you purchase insurance products from that you will have accessed from a link on this site

Home Page Cote d'Azur Rental

Travel Insurance

Car Rental Excess Insurance

Places to visit in the South of France
Regions & Departments in France
Fact File South of France
Fact File Nice
Driving in France and Monaco
Old Photos of South of France
South of France Property News & Tips & Topics in France & Monaco
Cannes Film Festival
Historic Monaco Grand Prix
Jazz à Juan - Juan-les-Pins Jazz Festival
Articles about the South of France
Images of the South of France
Site Map & Company Information

For French Holiday Homes 

Check list for holiday home renters
Check list for holiday home Owners
Riviera Business Club - RBC
Riviera Reporter

Côte d'Azur

Insurance for Your Car Hire - Car Rental Excess Insurance for Your Visit to the South of France & Monaco

HIRING A CAR when you visit the South Of France or Monaco?

 As you are  searching for one of the following click on the product type word below

Looking for Car Hire excess insurance or Van Hire insurance - Motorhome / Campervan Hire insurance and Minibus Hire insurance?


Car Hire excess insurance

Daily or Annual policies usually available from car hire excess companies



UK Residents


Irish Residents


Van Hire excess insurance



Motorhome - Campervan Hire insurance



Minibus Hire excess insurance



Before you leave home - Ensure thay you are carrying both your picture and paper driving licences. The paper licence is essential as it shows any endorsements you may have.

When you collect the car:

  • Check the vehicle for damage
  • Check the spare tyre


  • Most car rental locations require a credit card
  • Most car rental locations will not accept debit or switch cards
  • You must have held a valid driving licence for one year
  • British licence holders should note that many car hire outlets will not release the rental vehicle on sight of a photocard driving licence without also seeing the paper licence counterpart.They may also ask to see the paper licence counterpart of all named drivers.
  • Always ask what is included in the rates quoted
  • Never initial or sign an agreement without asking about each item
  • Do not over insure. If you have travel insurance you do not need personal effects or personal accident insurance
  • Pre-purchase or Pre-reserve your car rental
  • Purchase from agents within your own country in case you need refunds or assistance
  • When you pick-up your vehicle determine where the drop off point is for your return
  • Ask if the return area has an attendant. If not, who do you return the car to?
  • If you leave the vehicle without check-in, examine it for damage and photograph it from every angle.
  • Drink drive laws vary from country to country - for example in Italy if you have a glass of wine and a grappa with dinner and you are stopped by the police - you will be fined.
  • Know your speed limits - these vary from country to country.
  • Speed / Radar cameras certainly apply to rental cars as well! The rental company will be notified and the renter contacted by the authorities. Speed traffic camera information is now being sent from one country to another. e.g. someone caught speeding with a French registered car in Italy will find that the fine will be reported to the French authorities if it is not paid.
  • Check with the Hire company if you can take the car out of the country you are renting in.e.g. Going from France into Italy or if renting in Ireland can you take the car into Northern Ireland or into the Republic of Ireland.

The above information has been prepared in association with information from Insurance 4 Car Hire Agents Ltd


See: Driving in France and Monaco


Tips for Travllers - Riviera Reporter June / July 2006 - Nice Côte d'Azur Airport is France'ssingle biggest car rental market, ahead of both Orly and CDG. Not surprisingly, complaints fromcustomers are quite freequent. A couple of tips: when you drop off a car always insist on an acceptance slip - and you have to insist very firmly. That way you won't get charged for a spare wheel possibly nicked by a previous hirer. If you've not got the acceptance signature you might even get charged for a wheel missing from an identical vehicle. This is the Côte d'Arnaque - the rip-off Riviera - remember... And if you get a parking ticket while driving a rental vehicle tell them at the drop-off point and it'll cost you less if they have to chase you up later.

See also: Renting a Car Can Prove More Expensive Than Originally Budgeted For

Annual Car Rental Insurance Renewal is here again


You will need Travel insurance for your holiday in the South of France


Do you own a property in France or Monaco? - Looking for insurance with a policy written in English?


jml Property Services / acts purely as an advertising service for insurance companies. We are not insurance brokers and are unable to offer advice or deal with any of our advertisers enquiries.. All dealing must be with the insurance company that you will gain access to via a link from this website.

jml Property Services are unable to give advice either verbally or in writing regarding insurance or assist with changes to insurance policies that you have taken out. You must contact the insurer direct. We are therefore unable to provide any quotes ourselves as we would be breaking the law. All dealing must be with the insurance company that you will have accessed via a link from this website.


Enjoy your stay in the South of France ....

eat - drink -stay & wake up on the Riviera


See site Map for statutory information about jml Property Services Here
















Find us at | | |

Cookies - Privacy Policy|Contact Us is a trading name of jml Property Services - Kildare - Chapel Hill - Speen - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0SP - England  - © 2005 - 2023 jml Property Services - All rights reserved