Upgrading the Port at Nice -10th October 2009
Last Monday renovations to improve Nice’s port started. The objective is restore the Port of Nice as a residential, pedestrian friendly area. Pedestrians, roller bladers and cyclists will then be able to travel without interuption from the Baie des Anges (Bay of Angels) past the airport via the Promenade des Anglais and round the Rauba Capeu point. Unlike at present whereby there is two way traffic, it will be a one way system in that area. On the 2nd October the symbolic foundation stone was laid at the port opposite the war memorial.
The redevelopment work will continue into 2011 and there is a 120 million budget for the project. It will link the port located on the east of the city to the main Promenade des Anglais area as it is cut off by the Colline du Château. There is no longer a château there as it was destroyed in 1705-1706 by Louis XIV's troops, but is a delightful place to visit with superb views of the city and port. The city has undergone major building works over the past few years with the new tram system opening in November 2007.
2010 is the 150th anniversary of the area becoming part of France in 1860. Before 1860 Nice belonged to the Duchy of Savoy (Nice et Savoie). In 1749 King Charles Emmanuuel 111 agreed for the contrustion of the present port, but it was not until 1860 that the work really got going and was completed in 1897 becoming Port Lympia. The majority of the building date back to the 19th century and are built in tradional Niçois style in beautiful bright rusty and yellow colours.
The port is a busy port offering car ferry connections to Corsica and Sardinia. Car ferry companies Corsica Ferries and SNCM operate from Nice. It is not a large industrial port and basically will not be any larger by the time the project is completed, just much smarter.
There will be three phases to this project. The first phase is to widen the pavement for pedestrians and a bike path begins on quai Lunel and quai Papacino. The project will narrow the road and cutting back on space for street parking while maintaining two-way lanes for trafficwhich will mean residents and visitors to the port will have to use the nearby carparks. All car parking will be underground and by the time the project is completed there will be 1,000 underground car parking spaces which is aboutan increase of 300 on today's spaces. It is estimated that phase 1 will cost 7.8 million.
In January 2010 phase 2 is planned. This work is estimated to carry on through till April and will involve widening widen the pavements on the façade side of the street for Quai Lunel, Palce Guynemer and Quai Papacino. The final phase of the project in 20011 will be to renovate the pavements and the road on Quai des deux Emmanuel.
Property prices will no doubt rise as a result of this work as people will want to live in this fashionable area.
©jml Property Services October 2009
Other pages to see:
Car Rental Excess Insurance - South of France
Enjoy your stay in the South of France ....
eat - drink -stay & wake up on the Riviera